Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Book signing with Jane Seymour


I arrived at the Malibu shopping area around 5:30pm on Wednesday, May 16th. I had to deposit my Yellowhouse (Hunter's Point) apartment refund check at Wells Fargo, then I walked over to Diesel which was only two stores down to buy the Making Yourself at Home book by Jane Seymour-wanting to ensure I had a copy before she arrived. I had about 45 minutes to kill, so I treated myself to dinner at Cafe Marmalade (my La Bodega and Cheddar's replacement while in California). I was feeling really healthy that night, so I ordered a cheeseburger and a piece of a cake (that I and the waitress who first served it to me like to call "sugar buzz"). It's a triple layer white chocolate cake that is mouth watering .

**Side Note: I first had the cake on my interview trip out here late March. It was so good that I took half of the cake home and ate it at the LAX airport the next day while waiting on my flight back to Dallas. It tasted as fresh as the day before-the wonders of a paper to-go box.**

I ate the burger (which was delicious) and took the cake to go and then walked back over to Diesel which was right next door. Jane came in about 10 minutes before 7 and stood at the front entry of Diesel while customers and a few photographers took her picture while signing copies of her book and she also chit chatted with customers. She didn't come to the back into the store (where seats were lined up and I was patiently waiting) until about 7:30.

After Jane talked about the book a little bit (which features her home here in Malibu), someone asked her what her favorite color pallet was and she responded "well today it's Aqua but my all time favorite color is teal because it reminds me of the ocean" and then she said "i like the color red because if you are feeling bad that day or need to state your mind on something or just need a boost of confidence, it makes that all possible....I am sure the young lady in red could tell us, did that color do well for you today?" MEANING ME!!!!! And I said "Yes it did".

In a response about whether or not she had achieved inner peace-she shared one of her three near-death experiences. Jane said she saw herself being injected (while in
Anaphylactic shock) and said it was as though she was in the corner of a room looking down from above. What was running through her mind, she said, was the realization that death is not painful. However, you cannot take anything with you....not your cars, homes, personal belongings...all you have is your family, friends, and the relationships you develop throughout your life. It was a very emotional statement that almost brought full-on tears.

**Side note: It reminded me of when I had seen Teri Hatcher about two months before in College Station at the Presidential Conference Center. A female student asked Teri how a woman can accomplish being powerful and successful, while making time for friends, family and yourself. Some in the audience thought the question was stupid. Teri didn't and said "I wish I could come out there an give you a hug because I see that you are anxious, worried and scared....but you have your whole life to accomplish great things-there is no time limit." It was very inspiring to say the least.**

Jane spoke for about 15 minutes total then invited those of us who had not had our book signed to come on up. I asked if she'd take a picture with me, letting her know I had purchased the book for my mom and she said "well let me hold up the book so it can be in the photo too". I thought that was really sweet of her-and it made a great picture as well. Jane was extremely laid back and friendly. I was told by another lady at the signing that not all celebrities are like that-even if they are at a scheduled event. My first celebrity experience was amazing and I am looking forward to many more.

Love,
Rochelle